COMING UP PROFITS
|Order writer Steve Young's book on musicals commissioned by businesses from 1950 - 1980.
Look back at Dave's 33 years via this Twitter account, not related to this site. Visit @ByeLetterman.
|LIVE ON LETTERMAN SHIRT|
Visit the CBS Store.
Do you have an act for "Is This Anything?," a pet or human trick or "Small Town News?" Go to Pants News on the LSDL site.
Dr. Phil McGraw
|UPDATED 2/26 @ 1741 CT|
|CBS LATE SHOW SITE — CLICK ANY CATEGORY.|
|A FEW WORDS FROM DDY|
- Adolph Hitler, infamous deceased Nazi, is informed of Brian Williams' tall tale about rocket-propelled grenades on Late Show with David Letterman a few years back. (YouTube)
- Cycle for Survival helps fund research at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. The Late Show is promoting this to honor Dave's make-up artist for 19 years and 3,800 episodes, Michele O'Callaghan, who lost her battle on 12/16/11. Learn more via this message from Tommy Togneri, Michele's husband, or go straight to the donation page.
Watch a compilation of these tributes to Michele from Bob Costas, Keith Olbermann and David Letterman. (YouTube) If you visit the Late Show, you'll see Michele's picture to this day, not far behind Dave's desk.
- This just in: Trumpeter extraordinaire Al Chez and his band, Al Chez & The Brothers of Funk, have just released a new CD, Chapter One: Reinvented. Check it out, along with caps, shirts and other merchandise. We miss you on the Late Show, Al.
- Here's a wonderful feature on Felicia Collins, and her introduction to the guitar as a girl. She taught herself how to play!
- Rob Burnett is producing a movie, The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving. It's in pre-production at this point. Selena Gomez has joined the cast.
- On Dec. 19, the setup for Darlene Love's performance took about 20 minutes. Here's a web-exclusive treat: Paul Shaffer and the CBSO play The Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'. (YouTube) It's awesome!
- Do not miss this interview with Jay Thomas about the stars coming together to create his two awesome traditions: The Late Show Quarterback Challenge and Jay's Lone Ranger story!!
- The Late Show edited pieces of Darlene Love with "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)" from four decades, to preview her performance on Dec. 19... the last time she will perform this song on a talk show, and the 21st time she performed it on Dave's late night shows. To see complete performances from past years, look under the Ds in my Video Archives.
- Late Show Graphic Art Director Chris Dimino has cooked up a keyboard waffle iron, and has gotten enough backing to get it into production. (kickstarter.com) (@KeyboardWaffles)
- Here's a compilation of the 10 Best Country Performances on the Late Show. I don't like much country at all, but Taylor Swift's "Love Story" (done on a Live on Letterman) and Billy Currington's "People Are Crazy" are two great choices.
- Here's a very impressive compilation from your pals at slate.com: Top 10 Things to Love About Letterman's Top Ten Lists. The Slate staff looked for patterns and themes in over 41,000 Top Ten entries. On November 6, I was contacted by them, in hopes of videos of Top Tens which made fun of Regis. I didn't have all of them on the spreadsheet they sent, but I was able to make 12, to add to ones they'd already found in my Video Archives. If you'd like to see the complete set of Top Ten videos I made for them, look here. They were nice enough to credit me at the end of their compilation video, "Regis in the Top Ten." It's really well done. Be sure to have a look.
- The Letterman Memories, a.k.a. @ByeLetterman people scored an interview with Gerard Mulligan. You may be excused from this site to go read it. I recommend it.
- TMZ December 6: Dave tells TMZ Colbert's first guest should be Vladimir Putin! (video) Also, there was this related story in Variety.
- Letterman Memories, a.k.a. @ByeLetterman, has a nice (and increasing) collection of links to videos from Dave's 32 years in late night television. This is becoming better every day.
- The great friend of the Late Show, Martin Short, has released a memoir, I Must Say: My Life As a Humble Comedy Legend. It's hilarious. (As with everything I plug on this site, it's because I want to, and I'm not getting a piece of the action!) Here's video of his Nov. 3 appearance and musical number.
- TV's Alan Kalter has a 17-minute interview with WGN Radio on 10/22/14. Its title is "Behind the scenes of Late Show with David Letterman." Alan makes the Late Show better every day, and his segments are always comedy gold.
- Have you read the enthusiastic reviews of Bill Scheft's book? What are you waiting for?
- Late Show writer and strike captain Bill Scheft has a new book out: Shrink Thyself: A Novel. Bill had a great interview with Dave on June 9 on the subject of psychotherapy. He plugged the book on Olbermann on June 17. (YouTube 1, YouTube 2, YouTube 3)
- Late Show Rough Cuts is the title the show has given to YouTube videos of Dave's preshow Q & A with the audience. Until I set up a page for them, here you go:
• Dave's Dog
• Dave's Mom
• Dave's NASA Story
• Horizontal-Striped Shirts
• Inappropriate Audience Touching
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Discussion with Jerry Seinfeld
This discussion with Jerry and Dave took place on June 9 in the Paley Center for Media in NYC. It's related to Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: "I Like Kettlecorn." 18:45
- Alan Kalter is doing the audience warm-up now. The unananimous opinion among my DaveCon friends was he blew the roof off the dump! We absolutely loved his warm-up performance. It's worth a trip to the Late Show, in and of itself. I can't overstate how awesome it was.
- Not good. David Letterman says he's retiring.
Here's YouTube video of his announcement on April 3, and my video of the entire desk chat.
This is a sad day, that I thought wouldn't come for three or four years. I can't imagine what it will be like without the show, as I've spent over 7,000 hours watching (NBC + CBS). That's 42 weeks of Letterman. Now what? I'll be a wreck when it's all over.
- "This man has influenced every host who came after him, and even a few who came before him. He's that good! And I've gotta tell you, I do not envy whoever they try to put in that chair."
— Stephen Colbert, April 10, 2014
- Here's an official comment on Dave's retirement from Les Moonves, President and CEO of CBS.
- Good stuff here!
- Alan Kalter has a fun and interesting lecture on Demodex mites.
- As if there were ever any doubt what amazing professionals there are in the CBS Orchestra... watch this 27-minute video with Sid McGinnis, Will Lee and Felicia Collins describing their guitar gear. Even for those of us who don't know guitars, we can get to know CBSO members better. Sid McGinnis does his own electronic work on amps, etc. (video)
- Do you have "Love, Gratitude and Other Distractions" from Will Lee? It's available from CD Baby. Check out the video for "Fooled Him."
- Late Show writer and CEO of CelebriGum Steve Young is the author of a new book about musicals commissioned by businesses from c. 1950 - 1980. Learn more at industrialmusicals.com. Steve continues to add musicals to the web site. Keep up on Twitter. Order from Amazon.
- Steve Young was interviewed on NPR on Nov. 5 about his book, Everything's Coming Up Profits. Here's the link to right-click and download the .mp3. Read NPR's background story here.
- Steve Young's Everything's Coming Up Profits was reviewed by The New York Times on Jan. 29.
- Dave has written a book! It's This Land Was Made for You and Me (But Mostly Me): Billionaires in the Wild, with Bruce McCall. Its release date is November 5. See reviews in The New Yorker and The New York Times, then buy it from Amazon. Be sure to watch Bruce's Nov. 5 interview with Dave.
- Cue card guy Todd Seda, as Todd the Intern, did a great job with "Biff duty" at the Super Bowl media day (video) and game (video). Here are links to Todd's pics, tweeted from @LateShow: Winston Justice, Seahawks & Broncos fans, Broadway Joe Namath, Seahawks mascot and on the field.
|Scenic Dave Letterman Park, Broadway at 53rd St. - June 19, 2012|
|DaveCon 2010: My friends and I hung around onstage after the taping, visiting with band members and staff.
||DaveCon 2009: with Rupert Jee in Hello Deli
|with Calvert DeForest in the Little Apple
Manhattan, Kansas – October 1992
||Dr. Rod Fernandez, Bill Lehecka and Micah White
scored Dave's ties on-air on May 16, 2009.
This site was created in June, 1996. Objects on monitor may be funnier than they appear. Use while operating heavy machinery, if your liability insurance is paid. All animals harmed in the creation of this site were given decent burials. No kitties, monkeys or squirrels have been harmed. They are our friends.
I receive no income from products or businesses shown on this site.
David Yoder, Esq. All rights reserved. All wrongs denied.