|BATHTUBS OVER BROADWAY|
|It's Steve Young's documentary film on musicals created for businesses from 1950 - 1980.|
|DON GILLER'S VIDEOS|
|My pal Don Giller, the world's #1 Letterman fan, with his colossal Letterman database and video collection, is constantly adding to his Letterman YouTube channel, now with over 18,000,000 views. |
Click below, or else!
|The Donz on Twitter|
Look back at Dave's 33 years. Visit @ByeLetterman, and for great interviews, visit tumblr.
|MIKE McINTEE: WAHOOTWO|
|Keep up with Late Show producer Mike McIntee via his new blog, WAHOOTWO, the sequel to the Wahoo Gazette.|
|MY NEXT GUEST|
NEEDS NO INTRODUCTION,
WITH DAVID LETTERMAN
the final TTL
|GUESTS UPDATED 5/15/15 @ 1309 CT|
|CBS LATE SHOW SITE — CLICK ANY CATEGORY.|
|A FEW WORDS FROM DDY|
- April 18, 2018: I learned of this one today: 42 Surprising Facts About David Letterman. A top fan like you already knows most of this material, but it's fun to review.
- April 14, 2018: Last night, Jason Zinoman and Merrill Markoe appeared in Brooklyn at Books Are Magic, as Jason's book, Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night, is coming out in paperback. The format was Jason interviewing Merrill. Yes, the great Don Giller captured this for YouTube.
- April 11, 2018: The amazing Martin Short appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert today, and he was hilarious, as always. I haven't watched Colbert since 2015, but this was a very enjoyable segment! Colbert called him the best talk show guest of all time! Marty was plugging An Evening You Will Forget for the Rest of Your Life, with Steve Martin. I saw Martin and Martin in Kansas City a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it tremendously. (YouTube)
- April 6, 2018: In this, the 20th year of the Fab Faux Beatles tribute band, the great Will Lee and company are keeping busy. You can subscribe to his newsletter for the latest on tours and events. Also, here are links to Will's Facebook page, Twitter account and YouTube.
Dave Grohl with Uncle Will
- April 3, 2018: Where have I been hiding? I just found this tweet from LastDaysOf Letterman. Scott Ryan has finished a book about the final stretch of Late Show with David Letterman, beginning with Dave's unexpected gathering of staff on the afternoon of 4/03/14 to notify them. Viewers learned of this quickly via the Internet, and Dave confirmed it that evening, on show 4010. Expect a September 2018 release. (video) Finally, guess what song Paul Shaffer picked to play to commercial after Dave's big announcement. That's right... Steely Dan's Reelin' in the Years!
- March 31, 2018: Longtime Letterman writer Steve Young just sent word to his Letterman fan friends that Bathtubs Over Broadway, an 87-minute documentary he's in, will premiere on April 21, and tickets are selling out. The documentary is about Steve's fascination with industrial musicals, created from the 50s to the 80s, which resulted in his book, Everything's Coming Up Profits. (Facebook) (tickets)
- March 31, 2018: I'm not sure about the details, but my friend Rupert Jee is obviously in this ad seen in a NYC subway stop. It was posted by NYC Media. Naturally, Rupert included his New York Jets! He may turn up in one of their podcasts. Keep an eye on their web page. / Look! I found a video!
- March 20, 2018: Long, long ago... April 12, 1995... Drew Barrymore did that desktop dance for Dave that ended with a birthday flash for Dave. She doesn't regret it, she told Stephen Colbert today, according to articles in the Calgary Sun, People Weekly and E! Online.
- March 18, 2018: Thanks to the world's #1 Letterman fan, Don Giller, for compiling these performances of Henry Mancini's Viewer Mail theme song. Paul Shaffer brought in various performers from 1988-89. They're all in one handy YouTube video!
- March 16, 2018: From 48 Hours on April 13, 1995, it's Aaron Barnhart demonstrating the earliest version of alt.fan.letterman. (YouTube) Thanks for the video go to the world's #1 Letterman fan, Don Giller!
- March 16, 2018: I don't think I've ever seen this before: alt.fan.letterman Frequently Asked Questions, Part 1. It was started by Aaron Barnhart, back in 1996! Be sure to have a look!
- March 13, 2018: Here's a YouTube review of the editing in My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, presented by Thomas Flight. His point is there are too many cuts... that the editing becomes too noticeable. I don't feel strongly about this one way or another, but I think it's interesting. Mr. Flight seems to use Jerry Foley's directing on the Late Show as the gold standard.
- March 13, 2018: On Friday, April 13 at 8:30 p.m. ET, Jason Zinoman, author of Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night, will visit with Merrill Markoe in Brooklyn, at 225 Smith St. Here's the announcement from Facebook.
- March 9, 2018: Norm Macdonald has a new Netflix show, reports The Hollywood Reporter. At this time, 10 episodes are planned.
- March 8, 2018: Here's a must-read from The New Yorker: Is Martin Short the Greatest Talk-Show Guest of All Time? Author Ian Crouch describes the considerable effort Martin puts into preparation, and collaboration with the show's producers. Of course, in the case of David Letterman in recent years, Martin and the writers would often come up with a new, showbiz satire of a song. For examples, click here. (If the link doesn't work for your browser, go to my Video Archives, and look for Martin under the Ms.)
- March 8, 2018: Bathtubs Over Broadway is a film about to be presented at the Tribeca Film Festival. Steve Young, while working on "Dave's Record Collection" segments, discovered the world of industrial musicals, which led to his 2013 book, Everything's Coming Up Profits: The Golden Age of Industrial Musicals. (Tribeca Film Festival Guide)
- March 7, 2018: I'm late to the game here, but here's a plug for Bill Murray & Brian Doyle-Murray's Extra Innings. According to Bill's page on IMDB, the show has Bill and Brian traveling across the U.S., visiting minor league baseball teams. As of now, there are 10 episodes. Watch it on Facebook. It's produced by Victoria Lily Shaffer and Dub Cornett. Learn all about the background of the show via my friend Paul Leslie's interview with Victoria and Dub, as part of The Paul Leslie Hour. Finally, TV's Paul Shaffer wrote the theme song!
- March 6, 2018: Paul Shaffer has a new show! Today he announced on Facebook: "I have a new show on SiriusXM Radio, where I'll be sitting down with legendary musicians and talking/playing through their careers. Stay tuned to find out who will be on episode 1, and comment with your guesses below! It will air on Deep Tracks and on Classic Vinyl."
On Deep Tracks:
Fri., Mar. 16 @ 5 pm ET Sat., Mar. 17 @ 10 am ET Sun., Mar. 18 @ 10 pm ET
On Classic Vinyl:
Wed., Mar. 21 @ 6 am ET Thu,, Mar. 22 @ 2 pm ET Fri., Mar. 23 @ 7 pm ET
- February 26, 2018: Martin Short is a great friend of Dave and Paul, and I always looked forward to his visits. Now I highly recommend a visit to vulture.com for In Conversation: Martin Short. Author David Marchese has an in-depth and fascinating interview with Martin, and his philosophy on comedy.
- February 21, 2018: Up next on My Next Guest... is 20-year-old Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai. The episode will "air" on March 9. Glamour has an introduction to Malala here. Dave will also visit with Malala's father.
- February 20, 2018: Students from Ball State University interviewed Dave in New York. Here's the story in the Indianapolis Star-Press.
- February 14, 2018: The CBSO's own Felicia Collins is playing The Cutting Room in New York on March 9. It's at 44 E. 32nd St. It's billed as Felicia Collins' Birthday Celebration: Dance MF Dance. (details) She's so great on vocals, as well as guitar! My research shows that her actual birthday is on April 10.
- February 13, 2018: Jen Chaney has an in-depth review, David Letterman's Netflix Show Reminds Us of the Value of the Talk-Show Interview, on vulture.com. It's thoughtful and well-done.
- February 13, 2018: Rob Sheffield of the Rolling Stone reviews My Next Guest Needs No Introduction as vintage "cranky Dave." (link)
- February 9, 2018: Paul Shaffer dropped by The Beat with Ari Melber on MSNBC today. Unsurprisingly, Ari wanted to talk about Obama, but it's always good to hear from Paul! (link)
- February 9, 2018: Dave gives George Clooney a hard time for not giving a tip at In-N-Out. (etonline story) (YouTube)
- February 3, 2018: Billboard caught up with Paul Shaffer, who tells about writing the theme song for My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. (article) (YouTube)
- February 3, 2018: Hey... the Netflix thing isn't burning up much of your time. March yourself over to Gerard Mulligan Fan on YouTube, for a look back at
Gerard's characters, and fun with Chris Elliott. I counted about 64 classic videos.
- January 31, 2018: In the latest installment of My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, George Clooney recalls the day he met Amal, which by chance was chaperoned by his parents. (W Magazine) (YouTube)
- January 25, 2018: American treasure Chris Elliott has a Super Bowl ad, Avocados from Mexico. (YouTube) Be sure to find a half minute to catch up with Chris.
- January 22, 2018: David Letterman Drops by Edwards Air Force Base is a post from the USAF with a few photos.
- January 12, 2018: On this premiere day for My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman, I've run across some kind of mysterious Facebook pages, including NewDavidLetterman.
- January 5, 2018: MY NEXT GUEST NEEDS NO INTRODUCTION, WITH DAVID LETTERMAN is the name of the long-awaited Netflix show, which premieres on Jan. 12. Here's the announcement from Netflix. Barack Obama, George Clooney and Malala Yousafzai are booked. Here's a brief trailer. Upcoming guests include Tina Fey and Jay-Z. Visit my Articles page for much more coverage.
- January 5, 2018: From the Las Vegas Review-Journal, here's a noteworthy recap, Paul Shaffer Prepares to Disembark from Cleopatra's Barge.
A Few Words from DDY – Past Years
DDY's Headlines and News, 2000 - 2014
|Kathleen Ankers' amazing Late Show set, by DDY, May 22, 2010|
|DaveCon 2010: My friends and I hung around onstage after the taping, visiting with band members and staff.
||DaveCon 2009: with Rupert Jee in Hello Deli
|with Calvert DeForest in the Little Apple
Manhattan, Kansas – October 1992
||Dr. Rod Fernandez, Bill Lehecka and Micah White
scored Dave's ties on-air on May 16, 2009.
This site was created in June, 1996. Objects on monitor may be funnier than they appear. Use while operating heavy machinery, if your liability insurance is paid. All animals harmed in the creation of this site were given decent burials. No kitties, monkeys or squirrels have been harmed. They are our friends.
I receive no income from products or businesses shown on this site.
David Yoder, Esq. All rights reserved. All wrongs denied.